Aid for Restaurants, Bars, Gyms, and Bowling Centers
The Minnesota Department of Revenue will send COVID-19 Business Relief Payments to eligible businesses under a $216 million economic relief package signed into law December 16.
Eligible business owners do not need to take any action to receive this aid. We will determine eligibility and payment amounts based on the program requirements outlined on this page. You can also view this information in a visual format (PDF).
This program provides direct payments to businesses required to temporarily close or reduce services in November under Executive Order 20-99.
Businesses in the following categories — as reported by the Minnesota Unemployment Insurance program — may be eligible:
- Full- and limited-service restaurants
- Cafeterias and buffets
- Breweries with taprooms
- Family wineries with tasting rooms
- Distilleries with tasting rooms
- Bowling centers
- Gyms and fitness centers
We will send payments to eligible businesses that meet the rest of the program requirements:
- Located in Minnesota
- Had at least $10,000 in taxable sales in 2019
- Filed Sales Tax returns in 2019 and 2020
- Experienced a 30% drop in year-over-year taxable sales (April-September)
- Required to temporarily close or reduce services by Executive Order 20-99
Relief Payment Amounts
Eligible businesses will receive a payment based on their number of employees and participation in the state Unemployment Insurance system. The payments are considered taxable income and will be calculated as shown below.
|EMPLOYEES (FULL- AND PART-TIME)||PAYMENT AMOUNT|
|1 to 20||$15,000|
|21 to 100||$25,000|
|101 to 300||$35,000|
|301 or more||$45,000|
Eligible small businesses that are not in the Minnesota Unemployment Insurance system will receive $10,000.
- We will determine what businesses are eligible and their aid amount based on their sales tax and unemployment records as of November 1, 2020.
- We will notify eligible businesses though their e-Services account by December 31, 2020.
- We will mail payments to eligible businesses in early-January 2021, to the the main address on their Sales Tax account. Electronic payments are not available for this program.
We’ll update this page as needed with the latest information. For questions about this program or your payment, email us at email@example.com or call 651-282-9999.