Develop regional coordination efforts to identify and facilitate transit training. ECRTCC staff will work with transportation service providers in order to understand their needs and how the ECRTCC can assist. The skills needed for a bus driver job have amplified and the region’s population demographics, mindset and requirements have changed through the years. Those who drive and those who ride need to be mindful of these changes.
- Commercial Driver’s License training through Pine Technical & Community College and other sources identified. ECRTCC will work with staff at PTCC to assist in the development of a cost-effective scholarship program that could give opportunity to job seekers to provide CDL training, EMS/Medical/Mental Health Care training and provide connections with public transit systems. ECRTCC staff will work to develop the scholarship program, promote the opportunity to both the citizens of communities and to the region’s public transit systems.
- EMS & Medical Care training that engages drivers’ abilities to handle patron’s various physical and mental situations with confidence and care. Veteran Services and Volunteer Drivers would be offered this opportunity as well. Often offered through public transportation services, health care providers and/or and public health services.
- Bus Driver socialization skills require that drivers’ interaction with the public be constructive yet sensitive. Courses are available through FTA’s Rural Transit Assistance Program (RTAP), through MnDOT, and the Transit Cooperative Research Program (RCRP) to facilitate this training. As other programs are identified, these will be promoted as well.
- Offer training in transportation accessibility for the Volunteer Driver programs. Work with FTA, RTAP, CMCOA, local churches, public transit systems, CAP agencies, RSVP, to discover personnel training to assist varied needs of the public served through consistent customer service, increasing capabilities in assisting riders of all abilities using rider-centric approaches. Volunteer Drivers will be urged to participate in the training above and will be recognized for successful completion.
- The ECRTCC will provide Lyft &/or Uber informational meetings throughout the region to determine whether training is desired. We will invite the paid providers to participate in the meetings to educate their constituents on becoming drivers. We will also request that they train the riders at public forums throughout the region.
- CarFit training for inspectors will be provided by RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program) which will be followed by a CarFit event later in the year. This program builds safety into any driver/car situation and determines the fit of the car to the driver. Important to Volunteer Drivers and situating their passengers. Program will be promoted by the Volunteer Driver Program & ECRTCC staff through social media, radio, newspaper, and flyers distributed throughout the region. ECRTCC staff will participate in the training as well as volunteer at the CarFit event.
|Meeting Dates||Meeting Notes|
|June 27, 2019||Centralized Training Notes – 2019 – June 27|